The proposed project would have seen the development and installation of a first of a kind 20-unit (5MW nameplate) TREK II hydrokinetic power farm. This 20 TREK small farm demonstration project WAS the last pre-condition to full scale worldwide marketing and rollout with a total of $15 million of grants.
- RSW-RER Ltd
- Northland Power Inc. (NPI)
- RSW-RER Ltée
- Hydro Kinetic Energy Recovery Turbine (TREK)
- ABB Inc. (Canada)
- Agence de l’efficacité énergétique du Québec]
So what went wrong?
R.E.R (SDTC support) installed at the Lachine Rapids near Montreal. Reason: no sales because the system was simply not efficient.
The submersible generator had a life span of less than two years. If the company had to fish out a hundred of these systems in that short time span, some of which would be under ice, the maintenance cost would have been a huge expense. The Energy division of Boeing turned down this investment because they couldn’t guarantee to any large vendor to keep maintenance cost in line.
HUG Run-of-River: Another Comparison
Fitzsimmons Creek Run-of-River: an Analysis
At Fitzsimmons Creek there is a 250-meter elevation change (what’s called head) and the pipe travels 3.5 kilometers downhill from where it’s diverted to the powerhouse. When the water in the pipe finally gets to the powerhouse the water is at an average of 2.46 m3 per sec.
- The Penstock consists of: Low Pressure Conduit – up to 10 m of pressure head.
2 km of 1.4 m diameter HDPE at a 0.5% gradient: 1.6 m/sec Velocity: 2.84 MW
- 4 km of 1.2 m diameter at a 5 to 62% gradient at 350 psi: 2.18 m/sec Velocity: 5 MW
Velocity: (2.46 m3 per sec./Area of Pipe at 1.2 m radius of 1.13m2)= 2.46/1.13 = 2.18 m/sec
Comparing the both systems, the critical factor is the Velocity of the flow. It is possible to double the Velocity of the HUG from 2.18 m/sec to 4.36 m/sec.
- Kinetic Energy = 0.5 x (Area) 1.13m2 x (Velocity3) ( 2.18 m/sec)3 x 85% Peloton Efficiency: 5 MW
- 6 HUGs KE = 0.5 x 1.13 m 2 x (Velocity 3) ( 4.36 m/sec)3 x 35% Efficiency: 4 MW x 6 = 98.4 MW
- Prototype: $1,286,000 = ½ x .785 m2 x (4.36 m/s)3 x .35 = 11 MW
Total Capital Cost of Run-of-River: $33,162,000 & the Annual Gross Revenue is $ 2,800,000: ROI: 8.44%
Total Capital Cost is $33,162,000 & the Annual Gross Revenue is $ 2,800,000: ROI: 8.44%
- A 7.9MW x 7008 hours (80% of time): 55,363,000 kWh @ $0.60/kWh:
- At 5MW net x 7008 hrs (80% of time): 35,000,000 kWh @ $0.95/kWh for 2,000 homes
- HUG: 98.4 MW x 7008 hrs (80%): 690,000,000 kWh @ $0.048/kWh for 40,000 homes
An agreement with ecoENERGY for Renewable Power Program has an incentive of $0.01/kWh ($560,000/year) of electricity produced over the first ten years: $0.038/kWh.
The beauty of the HUG Funnel System is that the height between 4 m to 8 m, compared to the gross head of 250 m of an average run-of-river system.
The generator is not submersible, but it is kept dry because one should not mix electricity with water.
GREEN HYDRO POWER STATIONS The installation of most of very low head sites is technically feasible, but civil works give rise to high costs, resulting to economically enviable projects. To solve this problem, one must design a new machine using a completely different philosophy to equip such sites. The study of current turbines reveals that they were all invented on the basis of a poor understanding of hydrodynamics, and a consequent false premise.
MOBILE HUG: The HUG development is an exciting breakthrough in green energy. Small batches of HUG turbines can be installed with only a short period of 12 to 18 months between investment in the technology and the time when revenue starts to flow: it is modular, relatively easy to install and highly scalable.
PRE-FABRICATED HUG Standardized pre-fabricated modules should make it possible to order this new product as a “power plant kit” just like ordering from a catalog. The HUG power plant uses standardized parts, so no custom engineering is necessary. A one-size-fits-all pathway could be ordered.
Why is the HUG Frictionless? When we direct the water to flow at its natural mode, it hugs the inner wall. This kind of vortex motion tends to accelerate and contract the stream of water. The less collisions improves the flow, i.e. the better ordered and more dense the flow will be. The net result is that the velocity of the flow in the HUG is four to five times faster than the river velocity.
OUR NORTHYDRO STRATEGY
Stage 1 To introduce a smaller version of the HUG: for Fish and Hunting Camps
Stage 2 HUG Hydro electricity and irrigation in remote areas: to support work in Africa.
Our Strategy includes development work to be done in Africa. We start with Micro Financing and end with Irrigation and Electricity in Remote Areas without the use of a dam: funding for this effort is available from the following:
EMPLOYMENT AVAILABLE WHILE RAISING CHARITABLE FUNDS
It is possible to be a Full Participant: for those who have some “Photo Shop” or alternate experience can be employed to do the Personalizing Editing and Photo Cartoon Editing at WWW.GODLOVELETTERS.COM. The photo shop software used can be found free on the Internet, so there is no investment on your part.
Promotion Designers must also be involved in marketing the products for which they are responsible. For every one of these products, there is a watermarked version, which can be sent to prospective donors using the marketing tools available. An Affiliate Sales Software Package monitors the sales activity and automatically pays Promotion Designers at two levels.
There is a double advantage to becoming a Promotion Designer.
- You are well paid for your work: 50% of the promotion commission is allocated to a Charitable Fund of your choice, who wish to work together as a team of a minimum of three: e.g. A School, a Church or a Charity. This promotion commission is not to be confused with the texting commission, which you earn.
- The majority of the charitable funds are raised to support Micro Finance in the country of your choice. These funds will be ear-marked for your country, but these funds will be used to support the present ongoing Micro Finance in an African country.
There is an additional training advantage: students who wish to develop their entrepreneurial and teamwork skills will learn a great deal while earning .
The Magic Email is mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org Please include an application letter and attach a resume. We are presently under-employed and we wish to surround ourselves with capable personnel.