HUG TECHNOLOGY DEVELOPMENT
The Technology Development of the Innovative HUG Power System begins with a high velocity of the vortex created inside. The helical turbines are placed in a vortex of a pathway in the HUG. The velocity of this vortex increases the ambient flow by four to five times.
Investment in helical turbines has increased to US$257 million (Korea) in 2007. Kordi of Korea had planned its pilot turbines in ocean currents at Uldolmok. Korea have very strong currents up to 6.5 m/s. They have designed 24 jackets (16m by 16m) along 3 lanes to produce 40 to 50 MW or about 1 MW/turbine, because of its large size.
Helical Turbines have been in an experimental stage since 1991 until 2007 when an array of permanent, commercial-sized turbine has been installed commercially by Kordi, which commenced off the island near South Korea.
Kordi calculated that to make this helical turbine project work, it had to build the system so big in order to compensate for the lower velocity of the tide. It was so large that they were never able to install it in time: this prototype was washed away by the tides before it was able to be anchored. Notice the size of the car by contrast in the diagram above.
The Innovative HUG Power System has no such size requirement because of the high velocity of the vortex created inside. The difference is that the helical turbines are not placed in a vortex of a pathway like a HUG. Remember that the velocity of this vortex increases the ambient flow by four to five times.
Future Research and Development Trends:
- In 2009, there were strong gains:
- Engineering services sector (17.4%)
- Electric power and utilities sector (21.1%)
- Ontario Power Generation spent $112 million in R & D: a 211% gain since 1999
- Hydro Quebec showed a $100 million investment
- SCN-Lavalin Group Inc. spent $29 million in R & D
OUR NORTHYDRO STRATEGY
- Stage 1 To build a small version of the HUG
- Stage 2 HUG Hydro electricity and irrigation in remote areas
- Stage 3 To capture HUG energy from Run-of-River, Rapids & Waterfalls
- Stage 4 To Introduce the HUG Water Transfer System to crisis areas
- Stage 5 To introduce commercially viable HUG Tidal Energy
GREEN HYDRO POWER STATIONS The installation of most of very low head sites is technically feasible, but civil works give rise to high costs, resulting to economically enviable projects. To solve this problem, one must design a new machine using a completely different philosophy to equip such sites. The study of current turbines reveals that they were all invented on the basis of a poor understanding of hydrodynamics, and a consequent false premise.
MOBILE HUG: The HUG development is an exciting breakthrough in green energy. Small batches of HUG turbines can be installed with only a short period of 12 to 18 months between investment in the technology and the time when revenue starts to flow: it is modular, relatively easy to install and highly scalable.
PRE-FABRICATED HUG Standardized pre-fabricated modules should make it possible to order this new product as a “power plant kit” just like ordering from a catalog. The HUG power plant uses standardized parts, so no custom engineering is necessary. A one-size-fits-all pathway could be ordered.
Why is the HUG Frictionless? When we direct the water to flow at its natural mode, it hugs the inner wall. This kind of vortex motion tends to accelerate and contract the stream of water. The less collisions improves the flow, i.e. the better ordered and more dense the flow will be. The net result is that the velocity of the flow in the HUG is four to five times faster than the river velocity.
Some Important Links:
HELPING SOLVE WORLD’S CARBON POLLUTION
AFRICA RENEWED supported by:
- A Micro Hydro Electric System: no dams: HugENERGY.us
- An Irrigation System: NORTHydro.com
- An Agroforestry Intercrop System: LivingWaterIs.com
- The Charitable Arm: SunnyUp.net
- Living Water Micro Finance: LivingWaterMicroFinance.org
- Thunder of Justice: ThunderofJustice.com
- God’s Loveletters: Godloveletters.com
- A Rabbit and Fish Farm: Africapitalism.us
- Deliverance Is:com